North Cave is a village and civil parish in the East Riding of Yorkshire, England. It is situated 15 miles (24 km) to the west of Hull city centre on the B1230 road. South Cave is approximately 2 miles (3.2 km) to the south-east. The civil parish is formed by the village of North Cave and the hamlet of Everthorpe.

    The 2011 UK census states that North Cave parish had a population of 1,667, a reduction on the 2001 UK census figure of 1,943. North Cave lies within the Parliamentary constituency of Haltemprice and Howden an area that mainly consists of middle class suburbs, towns and villages. The area is affluent and has one of the highest proportions of owner-occupiers in the country. Historical Perspective of North Cave The Name Cave The origin of the name is controversial as to whether it was derived from the Roman term for hollow, cavus, or from the French feudal barony of, De Cave the generally accepted view is, like its neighbour South Cave, gets its name from the Anglican word, “caf” meaning stream Archaeological History There is evidence that North Cave was the location of a very early settlement. During quarrying work on Dryham Lane on of the largest settlements was discovered in the 1970’s. 

    A series of Iron Age hut circles were discovered over layered by Romano-English is led buildings. There was a drove road and field system of agriculture covering four acres. A further archaeological dig was undertaken in the 1980’s and this revealed items produced in the Stone age over 3,500 years ago. As there was evidence of an iron age smelting furnace and slag it was determined that this local farming community also produced iron from stone.

    Early Economic and Social Development.  Little is known about the social or economic development however North Cave is mentioned in the Doomsday Book drawn up for William the Conqueror in 1066. It refers to the village as, “………another Cave”  The Land owners at this time where Robert Malet and Count Mortain.  Early Land Owners During the 12 century various noblemen gave gifts of land to the church. Rodger Hay gave one mill and its income to the brothers of the hospital of St Leonard’s.  Rodger de Mowbray gave 65 acres of land to the monks of St Mary of Byland. John Stathers estate in North Cave was donated to the Priory of St Andrews the Apostle at Neither Acaster near York but this was confiscated by in 1536 by King Henry V111.  In 1553 the Rev. John Nowell, vicar of Giggleswick and Chaplin to King Edward V1, who continued the dissolution of the monasteries that his father King Henry V111 had started, persuaded the King Edward V1 to give this confiscated land to Giggleswick Grammar School. Consequently, Giggleswick School remained one of the largest landowners in North Cave for nearly 400yrs until it was sold off in 1921. In the Middle Ages the Methem family from Metham near Howden were large landowners in North Cave and Everthorpe.

     

    Sir Alfred Gelder

    A Famous Son of North Cave Sir William Alfred Gelder Sir William Alfred Gelder was born in North Cave at number 50 Church Street. He was the son of William Gelder a joiner and wheelwright. Alfred as he was known attended the local school and grew up to be an architect and a prominent civic figure in Hull where he served as mayor for five years from 1898-1943 and was the member of parliament for Hull. In 1903 as Lord Mayor he was host to the Prince and Princess of Wales who became King George V and Queen Mary when they made an official visit to Hull. He was subsequently knighted he which was attributed to this occasion.  Sir Alfred with his partner Llewellyn Kitchen was responsible for designing some of Hulls largest emporiums such as flour mills and Methodist churches.  He remodelled the crowded slums and narrow street of central Hull, Jameson Street, King Edward St and the one named in his honour, Alfred Gelder Street, they were all part of his scheme to create wide thoroughfares. Alfred Gelder was also responsible for filling in Queens dock and creating Queens Gardens in its place. He died at the age of 86 years in 1941.  Sidney Smith the Lord Mayor said at the time that Sir Alfred Gelder was the maker of modern Hull.  He remembered him after a blitz in when most of his life work had been wiped out over night. A lesser man would have been crushed but he attended a meeting the next day to determine where the traders could be re-housed. Sir Alfred Gelder is at rest near the east window in All Saints Churchyard in his native North Cave.

    webs counters
    Total Count