From an industrial perspective, there were probably 2 water-mills at North Cave in 1086, and by the 16th century there were at least 3; in the 15th and 16th centuries at least one of these was a fulling mill. All these mills were powered by North Cave Beck.
Tradesmen known to have been in the village included a draper in 1521 and a weaver in 1618. A malt kiln is mentioned in 1729, which may have stood in Westgate; there was also a rope-walk in Church Street in the mid-19th century. Tanners were mentioned in the later 18th century, and a skin-yard lay to the north of Westgate in 1852. From the mid-19th century there may have been one or two agricultural implement-makers in North Cave. Paper was made here in 1733 and 1823, but the mill had reverted to corn-grinding by the 1850s.
The plan of the medieval village is still readily discernible. Much of the village lies along Church Street and Westgate and many of the buildings date back to the 18th and 19th centuries.